What are the most common dangers in any household?
Electricity is one of life’s great inventions, but with these wonderous inventions can come great dangers too. It is important we are aware of hazards around our home and how we can prevent incidents from occurring.
Appliances near water
Electricity and water are a lethal combination and it is imperative, that all appliances are not plugged into power outlets that are near a basin or water facility. All electrical power points should be positioned with enough distance, between them and the water supply.
Electrical appliances should not be handled with wet hands, as this can increase the chances of getting electrocuted. All appliances should be stored away from water and should be switched off when not in use.
Poor or damaged wiring increases the chances of fires and power surges within your home. Common hazards include; overheated wires and damaged electrical appliances. All wiring and electrical work should be carried out by a licensed Electrician. Exposed or damaged cords on appliances also increase the risk of electrocution.
Young children can become very inquisitive as they are growing and learning, while adult supervision is always best, you can always add extra measures in your home to avoid an accident.
Ensure all power points that are within a child’s height range are covered with child proof caps, to help to deter children from poking objects into them.
Overloaded Power boards and outlets
Extension cords and power boards are great
for adding additional power to an area for short periods of time, but they
really shouldn’t be considered a permanent fixture. Make sure they are securely
fixed into place to help reduce the chances of trips and falls over the cords
and cover all unused sockets with plastic closures to avoid dirt and dust
gathering. If you must use a power board it is best to choose a high-quality
adapter with built in safety switches, which will help to prevent surges.
Covered Electrical Cords
To avoid the cords from overheating make sure they have ample ventilation, and they are not touching each other.
Incorrect Wattage Light Bulbs
Using the incorrect wattage in a bulb in a light fixture may overload the lamps wiring which will increase the risk of fire. Please read all manufacturers guides and install a less or equal to wattage bulb.
- Make sure appliances are switched off when not in use
- Ensure hands are dry when touching switches and electrical appliances.
- Never poke anything into a powerpoint
- Avoid overloading power boards
- Check appliances, cords, wires and power boards for damage on a regular basis.
We all have a responsibility to use electricity safely. Every householder in NSW is legally obliged to keep their homes safe, including the way it uses electricity. – https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/buying-products-and-services/product-and-service-safety/electrical-safety
By installing a safety switch or RCD in your home you can reduce the risk of death or injury from an electric shock. If you have any electrical issues in your home, please contact Powered Electrical & Data today to find out how we can help. We also offer a 24/7 call out service if you require urgent assistance.